If grandmothers around the world had a rallying cry, it would probably sound something like “You need to eat!”
Photographer Gabriele Galimberti’s grandmother said something similar to him before one of his many globetrotting work trips. To ensure he had at least one good meal, she prepared for him a dish of ravioli before he departed on one of his adventures.
“In that occasion I said to my grandma ‘You know, Grandma, there are many other grandmas around the world and most of them are really good cooks,” Galimberti wrote via email. “I’m going to meet them and ask them to cook for me so I can show you that you don’t have to be worried for me and the food that I will eat!’ This is the way my project was born!”
The project, “Delicatessen With Love”, took Galimberti to 58 countries where he photographed grandmothers with both the ingredients and finished signature dishes. He acted as photographer and stylist during each shoot with the grandmothers, taking a portrait of both the women and the food they made for him.
- From top to bottom:
- Inara Runtule, 68, Kekava, Latvia. Silke (herring with potatoes and cottage cheese).
- Grace Estibero, 82, Mumbai, India. Chicken vindaloo.
- Susann Soresen, 81, Homer, Alaska. Moose steak.
- Serette Charles, 63, Saint-Jean du Sud, Haiti. Lambi in creole sauce.
- The photographer’s grandmother Marisa Batini, 80, Castiglion Fiorentino, Italy. Swiss chard and ricotta Ravioli with meat sauce.
- Normita Sambu Arap, 65, Oltepessi (Masaai Mara), Kenya. Mboga and orgali (white corn polenta with vegetables and goat).
- Julia Enaigua, 71, La Paz, Bolivia. Queso Humacha (vegetables and fresh cheese soup).
- Fifi Makhmer, 62, Cairo, Egypt. Kuoshry (pasta, rice and legumes pie).
- Isolina Perez De Vargas, 83, Mendoza, Argentina. Asado criollo (mixed meats barbecue).
- Bisrat Melake, 60, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Enjera with curry and vegetables.